Music & Memory
Connecting to Life, Memories & Each Other
Why Music & Memory?
Music is profoundly linked with personal memories. Even for people living with advanced dementia, music can tap deep emotional recall. Beloved music often calms chaotic brain activity and enables the listener to focus on the present moment and connect with others. Music & Memory is available to people with dementia living in their homes.
Benefits for Participants
• Improve quality of life
• Reduce depression, anxiety, and moderate pain
• Need for some medications may be reduced
• Increase social interaction and receptivity to care
Benefits for Care Partners/Families
• Share memories and experience joy
• Improve communication with loved one
• Regain time lost to dealing with symptoms
• Decrease stress
How Does it Work?
A “music detective” will identify and download music to create an individualized playlist for the participant. Participants receive an iPod Shuffle and headphones. Participants and their care partners receive training so they can enjoy their playlist whenever they like.
There is no charge for the program. Call toll-free 1-888-538-3031 to enroll a person with memory problems who lives at home.