Frequently Asked Questions About Aging and Disability Resource Centers

If you’ve never contacted your Aging and Disability Resource Center (ADRC), you probably have a few questions. You’re not alone-here are some of the most common questions we hear.

Using Your ADRC

Q: Can I call for someone else?

A: Yes-family and friends often call wondering about support for a loved one.

Q: Do I have to give my name?

A: No, you do not have to give your name. If you do give us your name, staff at the ADRC may call you back to make sure the information we gave you fit your needs.

Q: Does the ADRC tell me what to do?

A: No. You make your own choices. The ADRC does not and cannot tell you what to do.

Q: When should I contact the ADRC?

A: Contact us anytime, but especially before:

  • Personal resources are exhausted

  • Family caregivers experience “burn out”

  • A crisis occurs…and options become limited

  • A life changing event that might negatively affect quality of life

  • Moving from your home

Again-please contact us anytime you have questions or concerns. If you’re in the middle of dealing with challenges or have already gone through a lot, we are here to help.

Q: Who can use the ADRC?

A: If you need resources for anyone 60 or older, or for an adult with a disability, you should contact the ADRC. We often hear from family members and friends wondering about resources.

How it Works

Q: What happens when I call?

A: You’ll talk to someone who will connect you with our expert staff, who will help you find answers to your questions. Our regular office hours are 8:00 a.m.-4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday. If you call after hours, you can leave a message and we’ll return your call. You can also set up a call after regular business hours and or on the weekend if that works best for you.

Q: Do I come to the office?

A: No, at this time our services are available by phone, e-mail and video-chat.

Q: Do I have to let ADRC staff come to my home?

A: No, the ADRC is not providing home visits now.

Q: How long do ADRC services last?

A: You can use our services whenever you need them. We are here to help you with short term and long term needs.

What Kind of Help Do You Have?

Q: Is there assistance for someone who needs help with simple household tasks or minor home repairs?

A: The ADRC can help you find reliable, trustworthy resources and services to help maintain independent living.

Q: Can you help me apply for disability benefits or long-term care?

A: Yes, we help many people apply for benefits.

Q: Can you help me pick the right prescription drug coverage?

A: Yes-ADRC staff can help individuals on Medicare determine their options for prescription drug coverage, including Medicare Part D and SeniorCare.

Q: I’m helping a family member. Do you have any support for me?

A: Yes, caregiver support is an important part of our work. At times taking care of a loved one may seem overwhelming, but with our many years of experience, we can help you identify the resources you need.

About Money

Q: Does it cost anything to use the ADRC?

A: ADRC services are free. Information and assistance is provided to you at no cost. The services you choose may charge a fee.

Q: Does my income affect my eligibility for free ADRC services?

A: No-the ADRC serves everyone. Your income only impacts which resources you can choose from.

Q: Does the ADRC have funding or money available to help me?

A: No. Your ADRC can help you apply for support, but we do not distribute funding.

Q: Can I get paid for taking care of my loved one or friend?

A: Each situation is different, so the answer is “it depends.” Contact your local ADRC to get information about payment in your unique situation.

Looking Ahead at Your Health Care

How can you make sure someone you trust will make health care and financial decisions for you if you're not able to? These links can help:

Your Right to Direct Your Future Health Care Needs: Who Will Make Your Medical Decisions When You Can't

A publication from the Wisconsin Department of Health Services that provides additional information and resources regarding advance directives.

Advance Directives

These forms on the Wisconsin Department of Health Services can be completed on-line and printed out for signatures or printed and completed by hand.